Monday 27 October 2008

Finishes

November is well on the way to becoming a very full month (and we're not even there yet!!) with hospital check-ups, Christmas 'workshops', visits to and from friends, birthdays, wedding anniversary (!) etc, etc . Last week was been spent trying to get some of my commitments for October and November finished, so - ALQS2 mini wrapped and ready to post tomorrow, no photo yet until it arrives at ...?? October FPC for Brigitte also going off tomorrow and Miniature Booty Holiday Swap mini well under way, just a little tweaking to be done, so the pressure is off that too!



One other finish, early this time (!) is my third and final Nature Challenge journal quilt, not due until November, but at least now I won't be panicking about being late! The final theme is 'Nature Close Up' and I've chosen to use the chestnut tree . Brittany has a profusion of trees and certainly the sweet chestnut is one of the more common hardwoods in my area !



At the bottom of our garden this morning - chestnut trees








another chestnut tree




and just for a bit of variety, a chestnut tree and an old bread oven (now renovated!)





So my JQ for November is - a chestnut leaf !!!






I played with transfer paints for the background fabric, and as normal, didn't quite know what would appear when I removed the papers, but it has worked quite well . Not a lot of quilting, just some outlining of the 'leaf' & 'cloud' shapes that I could see in the colours, and I am not sure about binding it, but overall , (IMHO !!) the effect is that of autumnal day showing the kind of skies that we've been seeing lately thanks to our late Indian Summer.
I've really enjoyed taking part in this , it's allowed me to try a couple of techniques that I probably would still be 'thinking' about, so a big 'Thank You' to Suzanne for coming up with the idea for the challenge and also for letting me play along !!

4 comments:

Wil said...

Very pretty! Why not simply zigzag a piece of matching decorative yarn around the edges?

Gina said...

Fabulous quilt. I love it. I'm not sure what I'm goin gto do for my Nov quilt yet

Love and hugs gina xxx

Elizabethd said...

That looks so interesting Ann. I hope one day to see some of your quilts.

Suzanne said...

I love that you tried a new technique...I'm like you, I sometimes need to get out of my comfort zone too.

I love your November journal...and thanks for being part of our group!