Monday 21 March 2011

Still Here!

Update on the wrist is that - wait for it - I have gout! Well, a form of gout in as much as the problem is a build up of  crystals in the joint causing restricted movement and inflammation. Caused by a build up of uric acid in the body, these crystals can apparently attack any joint, not just the feet, and can also affect the kidneys, hence kidney stones.

The good news is that the pain is now bearable, the swelling has gone down and hopefully the crystals can be dispersed with medication.  Bad news is that I can't use my hand properly without the support, and this coupled with instructions to 'rest' the joint means still no sewing, but in comparison with all the other problems happening around the world, things aren't too bad really.

Glorious Spring sunshine has meant that even though my quilting passion can't be fed at least my other favourite pastime, walking, is keeping me sane :-)



6 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry you have gout, tho I am glad to know the Dr. can control the pain. I worked for a man who had gout. When he had a flare up, he'd just have to take it easy for a few days until the swelling went down. Feel better, my friend!

loulee said...

Oh dear, I do hope it eases soon.
Enjoy the spring weather.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me how they test for that? WOuld love to know as I am having problems for some time now and my blood test shows high inflammation

cheers
Christine

QuiltSue said...

Ouch! Sounds really painful.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oooh gout...sounds painful! Call me naive, but I thought gout was more of a bloke thing...
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Gosh honey that has got to hurt tons!
I'm glad I read the first post to know your better!! hugs to you!
I've been trying to catch up on some of your posts :)