Tuesday, 1 March 2011
Dydd Gwyl Dewi
* The Captain of "The Mayflower" was born in Wales
* The world's first working steam locomotive ran on a nine mile stretch of track at Merthyr Tydfil, Wales in 1804. Richard Trevithick's four wheel engine hauled ten tons of iron and 70 people before the track plates broke under the weight !
* St. Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, was Welsh by birth (according to legend) !
( Patrick was born and was subsequently kidnapped from Banwen, Wales. - our own Patron is St. David )
* Mount Everest was named after a Brecon man !
*The first game of lawn tennis was played in 1873 at Nantclwyd Hall, Clwyd, North Wales !
* A Welsh mathematician, from Tenby, invented the "equals" sign =
* The first place of Christian worship in U.K. was Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan, Wales and similarly the first UK Cathedral was St. David's, Pembrokeshire, Wales
* The Welsh invented the longbow - the world's first armour piercing weapon.Welsh longbow men were feared throughout Europe in the Middle Ages.
* The northern hemisphere's longest place name is located on the Isle of Anglesey, northern Wales.The town is called:
* Up to half the signatories to the U.S. Declaration of Independence had Welsh ancestry, including Thomas Jefferson !
One last item that isn't mentioned on the website is that Wales gave us
'Myfanwy' , the one of greatest love song ever written in my opinion, and it always brings a lump to my throat.