Wednesday 7 March 2012

Sow A Long

I always find it amazing how much free information & tuition is available on the WWW
posted by so many lovely quilters prepared to give of their time and talent .  For people like me who do not have easy access to quilt shops, libraries etc  these are lifelines indeed !

Deciding which project to join in with is always a difficult choice, but one that did catch my eye during blog wandering was the Sow A Long on Barrister's Block blog. No - It's not a spelling mistake, 'sow ' is quite correct!

The story behind this project was to encourage quilters to get to grips with the Farmer's Wife sampler quilt, hence the play on the word 'sew'.  Unfortunately the author of the book has decided that she is not happy with a bunch of people sewing along together and you can see why on this post

Don't know who's right or who's wrong here, but I, like so many others, bought the book just to join in the fun. Now I wish I hadn't as most of the blocks are available in the public domain, and whilst the stories are interesting, I personally do not find the instructions as clear as in my other quilting  books.


Regardless, Randy has decided to carry on with her project as the Barrister Block Sow A Long, posting 3 public domain blocks every first & third Wednesday of the month. Today (or maybe tomorrow for me) blocks 7, 8 & 9 will be available if you feel
like joining in, and these are my blocks 1 - 6






Thanks, Randy for carrying on in spite of everything !

2 comments:

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

beautiful quilt! and love your photos of your home. Would you like to swap fabric? I have oodles to share. I live in California, USA.

QuiltSue said...

I went and read that post, and all I can say is what a silly lady the author is. If the blocks were her own original designs, then fair enough, but they're not.